I’m not cut out for the military. Never was. For me, it’s tough enough following the rules of an online dating service let alone a military service!
Being the demerit and detention leader throughout my school years had people thinking the military could straighten me out. Being the demerit and detention leader throughout my school years had me thinking that was a bad idea. It’s one of the reasons why I can appreciate the calling and those who answer it.
Later in my TV News career, I’ve met and dealt with various military personnel and their families. It is for the most part a most impressive group of people. So what is an online dating blog to do on Veterans Day 2010?
This Online Dating News Guy is armed with his 10 Gun Salute. (C’mon, it’s just online dating, the average American with a short attention span wouldn’t read through a 21 Gun Salute!)
My Top 10 Great Reasons for Military Dating
10. Trust. If you get into a relationship with someone in the military, they believe in partners covering each other’s back. They live by it.
9. Routine. Hot romances often burn out when the novelty wears off or the Viagra supply runs out. Military personnel know how to make a routine work and how to work well together within a routine.
8. Orders and Orderly. If you’re a control freak, military dating might work out well. The person you’re dating is trained to take orders! If you are a neat freak, there’s hope here, too. The person you’re dating is trained to be orderly and to maintain clean living quarters at all times.
7. Dealing with Adversity. Had a great talk with Alex Garwood, a best friend and Brother-in-Law to famous fallen military hero from Arizona, Pat Tillman. We agree that “Adversity Reveals Character” more so than builds it. All relationships have adversity. Members of the Armed Forces have this one covered on both ends.
6. Can’t Cook? No problem. If someone survived for years on the mess from the Mess Hall, what you serve up in the kitchen shouldn’t be a deal breaker or divorce maker. To be sure though, have a microwave.
5. R & R. Members of the U.S. Military are trained to fight and kill. Note to Self: Need to re-think this one.
4. R & R. Short hair or not, those in the Armed Forces know how to let their hair down and have fun when the time comes. A key to success in any relationship.
3. Boot Camp Background. Based on the shoes they’re used to wearing in the military, chances are your military lover won’t have shoe fetish to compete with yours.
2. Hot Bodies. While mainstream America is getting fatter by the day, those serving in the military are in good physical shape.
1. And my number one reason for Military Dating Heroes Give Good Hugs!
Sincere thanks to all (military singles or married) who bravely served in the U.S. Military. And sincere thanks to those heroes by choice who are currently serving as active members of our Armed Forces. Whether it’s the United States Army, United States Navy, United States Air Force, or United States Marine Corps, we civilians know you do more to make a difference than we know.
I will always remember the sign at Fort Bliss in Texas, “It’s a Great Day to be a Soldier at Fort Bliss.” On this Veteran’s Day, I’m hanging my own little online sign here saying, “It’s a Great Day to Have You Protect Us in the U.S. I hope Your Day Comes Soon to Be Home Enjoying the Bliss, the Love, and the Life You Want.”